Tuesday, February 18, 2014

It's the Freakin' Weekend, I'm About to Instagram Me Some Fun

I've always wanted to get in on this whole weekend wrap up thing that I see on my blog roll every Monday morning, but I usually haven't gotten myself together enough to compose anything, and let's face it, not every weekend is worth writing about, amirite? Since joining the world of weekenders, i.e., people that actually have weekends off (unlike myself until about a year ago), I have fully come to appreciate that weekends are where it's at. I always dreamed this is how it would be, and it's everything I thought and more. 

You try your best to kill it at work during the week, which sometimes involves eating lunch at your desk or staying well past 5 P.M. Weekends are when you recover, pat yourself on the back for a job well done, accomplish the essentials of every day living that you couldn't bring yourself to do on Wednesday night, and then reward yourself. For some people, it's living it up on Friday and Saturday evening. For others, it's allowing yourself the freedom to not wear pants for 48 hours while glued to a Bravo marathon (damn you, #PumpRules, for all the goodness you have stolen from my soul). Whatever your thing is, you go, girl. Treat yo self. You earned it.

This weekend was a doozy because it was Valentine's Day + blizzard + Monday holiday. Which in turn resulted in a bevy of Instagram moments that I have compiled here for your viewing pleasure: 


l to r:

  • Started the weekend off with a Valentine's #Pinterestfail attempting this heart bun for work on Friday. Thank you to The Beauty Department for convincing girls like me that they can totally replicate everything they pin. I can't wait to see how that ombre glitter mani turns out.
  • Steve and I agreed not to exchange V-Day gifts, as he reminds me that he buys me things all of the 364 other days of the year and doesn't need a made up holiday to confirm that he is a good husband. While I agree, it was still exciting to get this "@" necklace from Danielle Stevens Jewelry from my mother-in-law that day in the mail. 
  • Although I need absolutely nothing in the wardrobe department (and yet, everything), I couldn't resist the Milly & Grace blow out sale. I had been eying this Kirribilla Lucy dress since the summer, but couldn't justify the $410 price tag (especially when you already own approximately 100 dresses). I couldn't say no when I found it on the $40 rack on Saturday in my size. I also picked up a super thick winter skirt for only $10!
  • Spent a few hours at the museum on Saturday supervising a documentary film crew. I know, going into work on the weekend usually = bleech, but stuff like this hardly feels like work. Also I ran into Emily who was brave enough to visit the island during a storm for her birthday. Love that the Boston Blogger connection can extend thirty miles out to sea!
  • We had a low key Valentine's on Friday night, and by low key, I mean I was fighting a never-ending cold and fell asleep before Steve even had a chance to make dessert. Fortunately, he agreed to make it for me on Saturday, and boy am I glad I stayed awake. A warm peanut butter chocolate chip cookie + vanilla ice cream + melted Hershey bar + Reese's Pieces = perfect dessert to be snowed in with.
  • Awoke on Sunday morning to the snow that everyone freaked out about. Seemed like when all was said and done, Nantucket only got like five inches (child's play once you've lived in New Hampshire).
  • After church, we explored downtown, which by noon was melt city, yet still beautiful. Snow is way easier to deal with when you drive less than three miles to get anywhere. 
  • With all the snow, you could barely even see what was left of the Broho Elm that was progressively cut down over the past few weeks. 
  • All the wind on this island sure made for some interesting icicle shapes.
  • While Steve recorded his radio show on Sunday, I grabbed my camera and explored some more of snow-covered Nantucket, including some of the historic sites like the Old Gaol, which somehow looked less creepy with a coating of white. 
  • Once Steve was finished with his show, we continued our snow tour out in 'Sconset. It was so weird to me to see snow on the beach, despite having grown up in New England my entire life (I don't usually make a habit of hanging out at the beach in the winter).
  • Snowy boots in sand. Again, weird. 
  • We went over to Sankaty Head Light next, but the wind was so freakin strong that we didn't last long. I snapped one Instagram + one Vine and then bolted back to the car. 
  • I can't stop in 'Sconset without visiting my favorite location, the Union Chapel. I don't consider myself religious, but I still always find the sight of this place to be inspiring. 
  • All of that snow hunting wasn't enough for you know who, so on Monday (which I had mistakenly thought might be a day of rest) we headed out to the Ram Pasture for a light winter hike. I tried, I swear. 
Here's to weekends! And just think- only four more days until we get to do it all again. I can't wait.

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment